Sunday, November 9, 2014

Billy Club: Cop & Thief and "Balkan Beat"



I have never really been into the club scene. I must seem like the most boring person on the planet but really, I'm not. In fact, there are some things about the club scene that make me wish I was. The club scene seems like a hotbed of sexual energy as everyone is out there on the dance floor, sweating away as they move their bodies in close proximity to one another. And I'm a red-blooded, if a bit on the old side, American male that finds the thought of women dressed in tight clothing dancing somewhat titillating. But I've always thought of the music as being pretty much interchangeable, more for dancing than for anything else, with a beat that kind of beats you over the head like a policeman's billy club. Yet, even the music has been evolving, and one of the interesting things has been the sampling of Balkan music into club beats. And even more interesting to me is that it's become popular. Perhaps that was why I was able to find a whole collection of Balkan club music and even find some pieces in it that are interesting, not tedious.

The random tune for today is a club tune should have strobes and colored lights flashing along with it. If you don't have that going in your living room when you play the song, just pretend that you are in a club with a lot of bodies grinding around you. Balkan Beat is by Cop & Thief, which is a DJ or a pair of DJs from Italy. But I'm not too sure because I can only find minimal information on them on the web. The tune is heavy on the beat like a club tune, with lots of Balkan brass thrown in. You can find Balkan Beat on World Presents The Balkan Club Night #2 (2011). Enjoy!

P.S. Don't tell my wife about my visions of hot, tightly dressed women in the club. Let's just keep that between you and me.

No comments:

Post a Comment