Saturday, September 6, 2014

Going Mediaeval: The Mediaeval Baebes and "Quan Vey la Lauzeta"



Space and time are a funny thing, especially when they intersect and intermingle. Today's song, Quan Vey la Lauzeta by The Mediaeval Baebes, is an example of how global music can bend the rules of space-time as well as anything else in the world.

A French song from the middle ages, it is sung in mediaeval French. The lyrics are sung from the perspective of a person who has lost his love and still burns with desire for her. For an example of how music transcends time and space, yesterday's song by Ebo Taylor of Ghana, Love and Death, explores a similar theme - how loving can lead to pain and broken-heartedness. Here we see a similar theme from almost a thousand years ago in a culture and world vastly different.

When I see the lark beating
Its wings for joy against the sun's rays,
Until it forgets to fly and allows itself to fall
For the sweetness that goes to its heart,
Alas! such envy comes over me
Of those I see filled with happiness
I marvel that my heart
Does not melt from desire
Alas, how much I thought I knew about love
And how little I really know.
For I cannot keep myself from loving
Her from whom I will gain nothing.
She has taken all my heart, my soul,
Herself and all the world.
And when she left, she left me nothing
But desire and a longing heart.
I have not had control over myself
Or belonged to myself from the hour
When she let me gaze into her eyes -
In a mirror that pleases me so much.
Mirror, since I saw myself reflected in you
Deep sighs have been slaying me.

Translation found at lyricsmode.com

Formed in 1996 when a group of friends broke into a North London cemetery and sang together in flowing white gowns and ivy garlands, the Mediaeval Baebes were conceived by Katharine Blake of the band Miranda Sex Garden and initially was made up of members of that band and other women with a love for mediaeval music. Their music consists of mediaeval poetry set to original music and sung in a variety of languages from the time period - French, Italian, Middle English, Spanish, Latin and regional or forgotten languages. Sometimes their sound is expressly traditional and performed with mediaeval instruments, and at other times modern instrumentation and electronic sounds are blended in with traditional harmonies. As such, they are not an "authentic" mediaeval group but interpreters that stretch bounds through creativity. They have toured extensively throughout Europe, Canada and the US, and have performed in Lilith Fair. It can be found on their album Undrentide (2000) and also on their 2003 holiday album Mistletoe and Wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment